Who is Bia?

My name is Brenda. I am a wife and an aunt-turned-mom of an amazing 13 year old. My passion for cooking and recipe creating developed as an adventure in finding healthy alternatives to the foods I don't want to live without! I am an advocate for local farming and my recipes are inspired by what is in season. I strive for my ingredients to be from a mother or from the ground and minimally processed. Please try my recipes, critique them, and share them! Just stay home and cook tonight!

Friday, September 9, 2011

From Farm to Table

A few weeks ago my husband, my mom, my kid, and my niece took a trip to Detering Orchards in Harrisburg, Oregon. We picked green beans, zucchini, and peas.
They have an amazing selection of in season produce at amazing prices! That day I got about 5 pounds of green beans, two large bags of white, orange, and purple carrots, and nearly 10 pounds of zuchinni, and two giant heads of lettuce for $13! So with all fresh ingredients I made this delicious side dish of spicy carrots, peas, and zuchinni!
There are so many amazing farms here in Lane County! Summer has been amazing, although many crops are late this season! I am so excited for all that Fall crops will bring! Go visit a farm near you! Click here to find one: http://smallfarms.wsu.edu/farms/locate_search.asp
Spicy Carrot and Pea Mix:
1 cup of fresh peas
2 medium zuchinnis
4-5 large carrots (look for a variety of colors)
1-2 tbsp of spicy sweet chili sauce
1 tbsp EVOO
Salt and Pepper
Toss all the veggies together in the EVOO and saute until tender over medium-high heat. When veggies begin to soften, add the chilli sauce. And cook until desired firmness. Adjust the chili sauce to fit your heat prefrences. We like it hot! :)

No comments: