Who is Bia?

My name is Brenda. I am a wife and an aunt-turned-mom of an amazing 13 year old. My passion for cooking and recipe creating developed as an adventure in finding healthy alternatives to the foods I don't want to live without! I am an advocate for local farming and my recipes are inspired by what is in season. I strive for my ingredients to be from a mother or from the ground and minimally processed. Please try my recipes, critique them, and share them! Just stay home and cook tonight!

Friday, September 9, 2011

Farming on CraigsList!

I don't know if you are aware of this, but one of the best ways to find good, local produce is on CraigsList! My husband looks on the Farm/Garden section on CraigsList everyday and often he finds great deals. This morning he found a posting offering amazing deals on tomatoes and peppers! We drove over, took less than 10 minutes, and picked all of this for a little over $10!

Yes, I said a little over $10! Giant Anaheims were 8 for $1 and giant green peppers were 3 for $1. Notice some of those peppers are "Big Jims" which I have never seen in a store! Here is a "Big Jim"

I also picked up some tomatoes at $.70 a pound! Even heirlooms at $.70!!!!!
So I have planned for these treasures to make queso fresco/jack cheese stuffed Anahiems and black bean and rice stuffed green peppers! I will also chop and freeze the remaining greens and can the remaining Anahiems! Those recipies will come later! Thank you to Mrs. Etta Ingles for planting an amazing garden! If you live in the area, hit her up!

No comments: