Who is Bia?

My name is Brenda. I am a wife and an aunt-turned-mom of an amazing 13 year old. My passion for cooking and recipe creating developed as an adventure in finding healthy alternatives to the foods I don't want to live without! I am an advocate for local farming and my recipes are inspired by what is in season. I strive for my ingredients to be from a mother or from the ground and minimally processed. Please try my recipes, critique them, and share them! Just stay home and cook tonight!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Soup Marathon Day 5!

So today will be the last day in the soup marathon. Will I still create soups? Heavens yes! Today for lunch I was craving curry. Now if you don't like curry, this soup is not for you! If you love curry like me...oh this soup is for you! So here is my Curried Acorn Squash Chowder!
Looks amazing don't it? :)
Ingredients:
1 large acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tbsp EVOO
1 yellow onion, diced
3 stalks of celery, diced
5 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp ground curry powder
1 tsp ground chili powder
1 dried Thai chili pod (leave whole)
1-13.5 oz can of light coconut milk
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
Red pepper flakes (depending on desired heat level)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400. Place the 1 inch cubes of acorn squash on a cookie sheet and drizzle with the olive oil and add salt, pepper, and some red pepper flakes (depending on desired heat level). Roast in oven until squash is softened and edges are starting to brown, about 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile in a pot sauté onion, garlic, celery, and butter until veggies are softened and onions are transparent. When squash is done, add to onion mixture in the pot and add the dried Thai chili pepper, curry powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for about a minute. Add coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 8-10 minutes on medium low. Remove Thai chili pepper. Adjust salt and red pepper flake to desired taste.

Garnish with scallion, Thai basil, and cilantro! Enjoy!

No comments: