Who is Bia?

My name is Brenda. I am a wife and an aunt-turned-mom of an amazing 13 year old. My passion for cooking and recipe creating developed as an adventure in finding healthy alternatives to the foods I don't want to live without! I am an advocate for local farming and my recipes are inspired by what is in season. I strive for my ingredients to be from a mother or from the ground and minimally processed. Please try my recipes, critique them, and share them! Just stay home and cook tonight!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Soup Marathon Day #4

Todays Soup: Phở!



For those who are saying to themselves, "What in the world is Pho?" Well let me give you a quick run down! Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup, usually served with beef (phở bò) or chicken (phở gà). The soup includes noodles made from rice and is often served with Vietnamese basil, mint leaves, lime, and bean sprouts that are added to the soup by the person who is dining. Got it? Ok, here is how I made mine:

Ingredients:
1 jalapeno, stem removed and cut in half
1 onion, quartered
1 inch piece of peeled sliced into a few pieces
8 cloves of garlic, crushed
8 cups vegetable stock
4 cups water
1 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
¼ tsp ground star anise
1 tsp soy sauce
1 package of extra firm tofu, diced into bite sized pieces.
1 large package of clear rice Asian noodles

Instructions:
Simmer jalapeno, onion, ginger, and garlic until softened. Then add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a steady simmer (about med-high) and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove and discard all the veggies in the broth. Add tofu and noodles and cook until noodles are done and tofu is cooked through.
Now if you have never had Pho, here is what you do: You not only have the soup, but you have the garnished and flavor enhancements on the side that you add in before you eat.

Typical pho sides are:
Scallions
Bean Sprouts
Thai Basil (not sweet basil, they are totally different!) We found some at Market of Choice off Willamette in Eugene (for you locals)
Cilantro
Lime wedges (for the fresh juice)
Sliced Jalapenos
Asian Chili paste, or shiracha
Mint
Enjoy! :)

No comments: