Who is Bia?

My name is Brenda. I am a wife and an aunt-turned-mom of an amazing 13 year old. My passion for cooking and recipe creating developed as an adventure in finding healthy alternatives to the foods I don't want to live without! I am an advocate for local farming and my recipes are inspired by what is in season. I strive for my ingredients to be from a mother or from the ground and minimally processed. Please try my recipes, critique them, and share them! Just stay home and cook tonight!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Soup Marathon Day 1!

The Fall season is upon us! I love the rain, the cold not so much! The first thing that I crave when it rains is coffee...LOTS of coffee! The second thing I crave is soup! Some brainstorming has been happening between my husband and me about a dream/adventure in the future. In the process of this discussion I decided to try out some soup recipes to make that dream more possible (can't really go into detail about the dream yet hehe). I decided to try a soup everyday this week, ones that I will create each day, from scratch. They may turn out, they may not. Either way I will share the journey here! They will also each be vegetarian!

So tonight I went with a Lemon Thyme Rice soup.



Here is the process:
Ingredients:
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3-4 chopped carrots
4-5 Stalks of celery with leafy parts (see note below)
zest of 1 lemon
1 TBSP fresh thyme
1 TBSP lemon herb seasoning
1 cup of uncooked, brown basmati rice
1- 14.5 can of vegetable stock
3 cans (the empty vegetable stock can) hot water
2 TBSP chopped flat leaf parsley
juice of 1 lemon
Parmesan cheese (for topping)

Instructions:
In a large pot heat the EVOO. Add chopped vegetables and thyme and cook until softened. Add lemon herb seasoning and rice and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Looks like this:

Add in vegetable stock and water and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. When at a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-high and cook until rice is cooked. Before serving, add parsley and lemon juice and top with Parmesan cheese!
If you notice, salt wasn't added to this soup. Lemon touches the same part of your tongue as salt, so it is perfect without it!

Here is your note:
Don't be afraid of the leafy and center parts of celery! They have the most flavor! I used the stalks in the celery heart for this recipe!


No comments: